Wednesday 16 May 2012

Album Cover: Judy at Carnegie Hall


MORT LINDSAY (March 21, 1923 - May 4, 2012)


On Saturday, I included Judy Garland's live version of I Can't Give You Anything but Love. Just a few days later, I learned that Mort Lindsay, the musical director on that recording, had passed away, aged 89. 
Mr Lindsay also worked as MD for Barbra Streisand who recently stated in the Los Angeles Times:
"I first saw him when I was a teenager and got to attend a free Judy Garland concert," she recalled. 
"They were either taping it as a show or for a recording. Mort was on stage conducting for Judy, and I could sense how safe she felt with his judgments and encouragements.
"I stood there fantasizing that one day I would work with him too. And then, that one day arrived and we worked together many wonderful times. He was great."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/11/2794823/mort-lindsay-musical-director.html#storylink=cpy
Judy at Carnegie Hall - recorded on April 23rd 1961 - was released as a double album and became a huge best seller, charting for 73 weeks on Billboard. It reached the No 1 spot for a significant 13 week period, and went on to win four Grammy Awards for Album of the Year, Best Female Vocal Performance, Best Engineered Album and Best Album Cover. The album has never been out of print and, in 2003, was one of 50 recordings chosen that year by the Library of Congress to be added to the National Recording Registry.



No comments:

Post a Comment